Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Warned Him I wasn't a Chef

Hello All,

I had a pretty memorable experience in the kitchen last Friday night in my attempt to be Suzy Homemaker for the boy. When I say memorable, I mean memorable in a bad way. He was so nice in saying it wasn't so bad but that he was just going to make some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because he was still hungry. Our apartment smelled like garlic for a few days.

Anyways, lets start from the beginning. I joined Pinterest a few months ago and at first wasn't impressed. Then work got slow so I started poking around and got hooked. I want to write a whole Pinterest post about the different crafts I want to try so this is my Pinterest cooking post. A side note, my work decided to block Pinterest this week so I can't link to my Pinterest so I'll be linking to original blog posts/sources for recipes.

So a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this blog titled Life in Yellow which you can see here. She has this Menu Planner sheet (found here) which allows you to write down a few recipes to take to the grocery store. So I implemented it. I like it for its simplicity and ease of use.

What did I do next, I scoured Pinterest for different recipes I pinned. Which led me to this Easy Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken (found here) and Zucchini boats (found here at another interesting blog you should check out here especially if you want healthier meal options). The chicken had very little ingredients which is what I like about cooking and it stated it wouldn't take that long to prep or cook. Sold. Or so I thought. Has anyone minced garlic before? Well I sure haven't. It was a mess. Between the chicken and the zucchini boats, I was mincing 6 cloves of garlic. 6?!?!?! I learned for the last 2 to just throw them in the Magic Bullet. But still, I will not use 4 cloves of garlic again on this chicken. Nor will I cook it at 500 degrees which it calls for. My bad for not reading through more of the comments to learn this little nugget of information until afterwards. Because when the chicken came out the brown suger had burnt and wasn't as sweet as I wanted. The chicken was cooked which was good but the seasoning/marinade (whatever you want to call the garlic and brown suger) was yuck. And after so much garlic, the zucchini boats felt like they were swimming in garlic.

All in all, I dont think I'll try the chicken again. I'll look for another brown sugar recipe because I did like the hint of sugar taste (surprisingly). I will try the zucchini boats again for sure but without any garlic at all. I'm not a huge garlic fan to begin with but I want to try recipes as close to the original post as possible when first testing them. So here's to a crash and burn on a Friday night of cooking.

Hey, at least I warned the boy in the beginning that I wasn't a cook. And at least I'm trying. An A for effort.

Tonight is Slow Cooker Phillys (again found on Pinterest originally but originally posted on 5 dinners 1 hour found here). We've already tried this blogs Chili Cheese Coneys (found here) and they were successful (except for a request of no relish next time). Seriously if you have any free time and like easy cooking, check this blog out (5 dinners 1 hour). You can subscribe to her menu plan (which I don't yet) or you can just check out all the easy recipes she posts to her blog for free (definitely for me).

Wish me luck on the Phillys (they are slowly cooking as we speak)....

Until next time,

Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment